Healthy People & Planet
OrganicOrganic farming and processing require special methods that keep harsh chemicals out of our soil, water and air. Certified organic foods do not contain artificial ingredients, preservatives or additives, and are always Non-GMO.
SunOpta encourages and promotes organic farming methods. By making a commitment to organic products, SunOpta supports the holistic productivity of interdependent communities of soil life, plants, animals, and people.
Non-GMONon-GMO stands for Non-Genetically Modified Organisms. Non-GMO crop varieties are produced through traditional breeding methods. SunOpta is steadfastly committed to expanding acreage dedicated to growing Organic and Non-GMO crops. We only use Non-GMO grains and ingredients in all of our products.
SustainabilitySustainability seeks to provide the best outcomes for the human and natural environments both now and in the future. At SunOpta, sustainability is intended to be a means of direction so that society, its members, and its economy are able to meet their needs and express their greatest potential in the present, while preserving biodiversity and natural ecosystems for all future generations.
SunOpta considers sustainability in each step of our business development practices, and it affects every level of organization. From farm and community, to manufacturing and industry, SunOpta is committed to nurturing today’s world to help ensure a safe environment and secure food future for all. Here are just a few ways that we demonstrate sustainability:
- We reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources through effective transportation policies, innovative technologies, and strategically-located processing and packaging facilities.
- Aseptic processing (how we process our non-dairy beverages) is a safe, healthy, and proven processing system that significantly extends the shelf life of soymilk. And because it is shelf-stable, it uses a lot less energy from the time it is manufactured to the time it reaches your home.
- SunOpta actively supports the economic vitality of North American growers who are committed to environmentally-sound farming practices.
Health Benefits Of SoySunrich Naturals soymilk, edamame and roasted soy snacks are a great way to enjoy the nutritious benefits of soy. Our soy products are all Non-GMO and/or Organic, and made with whole soybeans from Midwest farms.
Soy is the only complete plant protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids, and has other added benefits such as omega-3s and isoflavones. The FDA approved a health claim in 1999 advising the consumption of 25 grams of soy protein per day, which is about 2-3 servings of soy.
- Our calcium-fortified soymilk is rich in calcium, vitamin D, vitamin A, magnesium and phosphorus. Add to your favorite cereal, smoothie, baked treats or enjoy on its own.
- Edamame is rich in fiber, potassium, folic acid and iron. Throw into salads, stir fries or as a tasty snack.
- Roasted soy nuts are rich in high quality, lean protein, low in total fat and saturated fat, and cholesterol free. Great for on-the-go, in salads or added to trail mix.
Soyfoods are great for all ages and can be enjoyed in a variety of wqays – making it easy to add soy nutrition to your diet. Whether you are interested in being more heart healthy, wanting to lose weight, or seeking healthful snacks, soy foods can fit into every lifestyle. For more information, visit the Soyfoods Association of North America.
Health Benefits Of SunflowerSunflowers are a nutritionally dense food, power-packed with protein, fiber, vitamin E, minerals, healthy fats, and phytochemicals. Sunflower products are a functional, versatile, and delicious food choice.
- Two times more protein than walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts
- Six times more vitamin E than peanuts
- Seven times more folate than almonds, cashews, and pecans
- More fiber than an apple, comparable to a serving of bran flake cereal
- Vitamin E (76% RDA in one ounce/30g): Research suggests that most American diets are deficient in this essential vitamin. Sunflowers are the best whole food source of vitamin E, which acts to slow the effects of aging, boost the immune system, repair damage to cells, and prevent cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Folate (17% RDA in one ounce 30g): This essential nutrient is necessary for the production and maintenance of new cells. This is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth, such as infancy and pregnancy.
- Ideal Fat Profile: Sunflower seeds contain high levels of “good” fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) and low levels of “bad” (saturated) fats. Almost 90% of the fat in sunflower seeds is the healthiest type of fat for the heart. Additionally, sunflower is naturally free of harmful trans-fats which raise “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and lower “good” cholesterol (HDL).
- Antioxidants: Sunflower seeds contain four times more antioxidants than blueberries, walnuts, and peanuts. Antioxidants destroy free radicals, which cause cell damage.
- Phytochemicals: Phytochemicals are chemicals derived from plants and play an active role in the prevention of disease. Sunflower seeds’ phytochemicals include: betaine (protects against cardiovascular disease), phenolic acid (an anti-oxidant and anticarcinogen), choline (promotes memory and cognitive function), arginine (benefits heart health), and lignans (protects against heart disease and cancer and lowers LDL cholesterol and triglycerides).